Tyler Durden is a The Narrator's induced insanity. Tyler and The first meet on a gay beach with Tyler making a video and a shade in the shape of a hand from drift wood. Tyler fully manifests himself as a separate personality after Marla Singerbegins appearing at The Narrator's because Tyler and the Narrator both liked Marla, but only Tyler would admit it. Tyler represents everything the narrator wants, but wont act on. (Neo-Luddism, Anarcho-primitivism, and Nihilism, and a strong hatred for consumer culture) In addition to Tyler's beliefs, the Narrator also admires his looks and charisma. Tyler has night jobs to first fill his time and leave problems to be used as black mail against the companies later. He also makes soap which is one of his sources of materials for the bombs he knows how to make. He and the Narrator started Fight Club, but Tyler it with Project Mayhem. Tyler uses to make various attacks on consumerism and normal social order. He frequently describes (and acts on) his opposition to popular culture, materialism, capitalism, most technology and social order. He describes his ideal world as an Arcadian paradise, in post-apocalyptic urban ruins.created by
In the novel, it could be said there are homosexualbetween Tyler and the Narrator.
- "Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material ."
- "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
- "The things you own - end up you."
- "I want you to hit me as hard as you can."
- "The first rule of is you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club."
- "Even the is ."